British Dispensary

british dispensary logo

The meaning of snake and arrow

The trademark of Arrow-Stuck Snake presented the meaning as “the snake is poison” illustrated as the sickness while “the arrow” represented as the prevention and cure sickness so “The Arrow – Struck Snake trade mark” represented the quality that existed for more than 100 years. If this trademark showed on the product, it would represent the quality of products.

The British Dispensary was established in 1892 by Dr. Thomas Hayward Hays offering the modern drug store with full time pharmacist under the “Arrow-Stuck Snake” trademark

Dr. Luan, the ancestor of Vongvanij family, took over the drug store in 1928 and expanded the business to be the authorized distributors of many international brands such as Boots, Elizabeth Arden, Christian Dior and etc. In the meantime, Dr. Luan developed and researched a various kind of consumer products, and ended up with the ‘cooling powder’.

The British Dispensary Co., Ltd started production of “Quina” products in 1932 with the new phenomenon of cosmetic having both scent and cool while in 1951 the company introduced the new product “St. Luke’s Baby Powder” to satisfy the quality product for children. In 1952 the company started the legend product of “Prickly heat powder” to relieve the rash and skin irritation from hot weather. This product was the first Thai brand produced by Thais that popular both domestic and abroad.

The British Dispensary Co., Ltd started to research and develop of the healthcare product such as baby antipyretic syrup, baby cough syrup, baby cold-remedy, brown mixture cough syrup and St. Luke’s sport oil respectively etc.

The British Dispensary Co., Ltd. set up a factory named “L.P. Standard Laboratories Co., Ltd.” Production Personal care and Health care Product was established in 1963 to serve the high quality products under the international standard with the GMP certification since 1989 to present.

The distribution sector of The British Dispensary Co., Ltd. merged with L.P. Standard Laboratories Co., Ltd. as a new company named “The British Dispensary (L.P.) Co., Ltd. with a registered capital of 60 millions baht, to operate production, made to order, distribution, import and export. The company was certificated ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 in 1999 and was the first drugs and cosmetics manufacturer in Thailand to receive these two certificates at the same time.